As a consumer product expert I review a lot of products. This simple solution I just discovered is a life changer. They are called levears earring lifts. Just bought a package the other day and they are so easy to use. IF you have an issue with earrings drooping this is the must have product to try. They also don’t hurt your ears, which sometimes I have problems with earring backs. Such a great invention. Check them out at levears.com
I think fall is here in Boston finally! We went from 80 to 40 degrees in a flash. Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week so boo hoo! You all know I love summer – beach time, warm weather, vacations! But I also love fall as well – everything from pumpkin spice, pumpkins, apple cider donuts – yum!
I started on my fall decorating. Years ago I switched to a white and gold theme and did get rid of most of the orange color. I know, I know I use too much white in my décor so I switched it up with a bit of grey. Do you know how hard it is to find grey pumpkins?? Here is a close up of some of the décor I used.
Fall is also a perfect time for travel! We hope to get to NYC, Quebec and London! Stay tuned for the next adventure.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! I love everything Christmas and celebrating the season. My girls are older now so gift buying can be challenging. I was so excited to work with Project Repat on a t-shirt quilt for my senior. This a must gift for kids, especially if you have a child going off to college. What precious memories of all their t-shirts on a fleece blanket. My daughter loved it! (I gave it to her as an early Christmas gift.) If you are looking for something extra special as a graduation gift and/or for next years holiday gift check them out online.
All you do is order your panel size and quilt size and color (we received the twin size), gather up your t-shirts and the company will send you instructions. You have to cut the shirt under the arm and then mail in the front or if you want the back logo of your t-shirt mail that in. They will keep you posted on when it’s complete. It does take a bit especially during the holiday season so order ahead for next year! Moms with younger kids: save up those shirts! It really was nice to see all her memories on one blanket! Plus as thousands of textile jobs have gone overseas the company, Project Repat is helping to bring them back to the United States. The t-shirt quilt is backed with PolarTec ﬂeece made out of recycled plastic bottles. Each yard recycles 23 plastic bottles that would otherwise end up in landﬁlls! What a great company and great idea. We were so happy with the results.
Disclosure: The company sent me a twin blanket to review. As always, all opinions in this blog post are my own.
We have a new pup! With that comes a lot of responsibility, training and our course treats too. You may have seen photos of my Brady and heard the story- the dog we rescued from the shelter 5 years ago. The shelter said he was two and a cairn terrier and when we took him to my vet she said, “sorry to say he is about 8 or 10 YEARS OLD and more of a border terrier mixed with who knows what!” He was my baby and we loved him and it was very hard to say goodbye in June (which we think he was 15 then!) I was very traumatized by having to make the decision and said never again will I go through that. But here we are several months later with a “lab” rescue. This time around the shelter said she is a one year old and a lab mix. My vet seems to think she is about 6 months and a black mouth cur! Anyway we are blessed to have a sweet rescue who is now safe and happy in her new home.
But boy do we need a lot of chew toys. The first several toys we got she destroyed and that is why I was so happy Bully Make sent me a sample of their a dog subscription box for big chewers! You can pick a plan and get a box once a month or every three or 6 months or even once a year. That would make a nice gift for the holidays. You may have heard about these subscription boxes on everything from make-up to clothes and now your dog can have treats delivered right to your door! The one I received was a Halloween one and Sadie just loves both of the tough chewy toys and the cookies and treats as well. It is a nice treat to open up a box of goodies for your dog. You can even send one as a gift. They even have a 14 day Bully Make guarantee! That means if your dog destroys any toy, take a picture and send it to them. If the toy qualifies for a replacement, they will ship you a new toy for free! The company will also replace items your dog doesn’t like. Now that is great customer service. Give them a try and more information can be found here.
Disclosure: Bully Make sent me a box for my dog to test out. As always all opinions in this blog post are my own.
I love to sleep but some mornings I wake up with bed head, dry skin and the dreaded crease on my face! Why not get in your beauty sleep with a silk pillowcase. Not all silk pillows are created equal. So glad that Slip pure silk pillowcase sent me one to test out. It comes in a beautiful package and it is very soft and you just sink into it when you hit the pillow. There are some benefits to using a Slip pillow case including less sleep crease, no more bed head and it can help hydrate your skin.
Minimizes sleep crease – many times I have woken up with a crease across my face – imagine what sleeping on the side of our face on a cotton pillowcase does for wrinkles year after year? No more with slip! Their web site says years of chronic sleep crease completely disappears after the very first night. No more crease for me!
No more bed head – silk pillowcases are gentler on your hair than cotton. According to the Slip website, “Cotton grabs your hair and twists it at the root throughout the night, damaging hair and causing bed-head in the morning, whereas silk is so gentle on your hair, it allows your hairstyle/blow-dry to last overnight” This is great news especially for those who love to make their blow dry last days! That alone sold me on the product.
It helps hydrate your skin – Cotton can be very absorbent and a cotton pillow case can draw moisture away from your skin . You may feel more hydrated with Slip! Plus silk breathes and is a natural temperature regulator – my perimenopause friends will love it – so soothing and so sweating! Buy yours here
Disclosure: I was sent a slip pillow case to test out. As always all opinions in this blog post are my own.
Of the many News Year’s resolutions people make are to get in to shape and look their best. How are you all doing now that is is March? I am starting back up at the gym and trying to eat healthy. Of course diet and exercise are on the top list but there are a few must have items that can help you look your best. Conair was nice enough to send me a few products to test out and they did not disappoint. You may have some Conair products right in your bathroom. They have a great line of personal care products including grooming, health and wellness appliances and hair products. Over the years I have had a number of great hair dryers from Conair. They make great products for teens and adults and have for decades. Here are some of my favorites:
Two-sided lighted make-up mirror – this staple has been a classic at Conair for over 20 years. It is a tri-panel mirror with 4 variable light settings – office, evening, home and day light and it closes up to store easily. My teen loves it. Not only for applying make-up and styling hair but to put in contacts. Also, no more guessing about how to add your foundation in the perfect light. This makes a very nice gift for mom on Mother’s Day (hint, hint)
Weight Watchers Scale – This body analysis glass scale has it all and it is the one to get you on track to be fit. It provides all the measurements for weight, body fat percentage, body water, bone mass and BMI. I like the lit background and you can see the digital results. If you really want a good scale in your house to keep you accountable this is the one to get. It’s super sleek and matches any décor.
Infiniti PRO Diamond Brilliance Diamond-infused Ceramic Smoothing Hot brush – This styles hair without damage and saves you time. Super easy to use and less scary than a straight iron, this heated brush leaves your hair shiny, smooth and frizz free. A few tips if you do get this must have item – make sure your hair is dry and follow the heat settings for your hair – Low for thin, delicate hair, medium for average to thick hair and high for very thick or wavy hair. I also like the auto shut off! What makes this brush different is the diamond infused ceramic, paddle brush handle, ionic generator which helps to remove frizz and add shine and the nylon, silicone and ceramic-coated bristles make is very easy to maneuver and use. I like this very much to freshen up the hair before you go out and to use as a last step to get super smooth hair after your blow dry.
Disclosure: Conair sent me the above items to test out. All opinions in this blog post are my own.
The new year has got me fired up! I decided to make a change and clean out my home office. I have 15 plus years of files and stuff and I went through a lot and tossed a lot. It felt very freeing. However I could not stand to have my items in boxes so the painters are coming in this week and hopefully at the end of the week I will have a new, fully decorated office. Here are some of the before photos as well as some of the cool items I purchased to spruce up the space and make it a bit more modern. I never knew I could spend so much time on Pinterest!
As you all know I am obsessed with checking all my beauty products via EWG and I also just discovered the Think Dirty app as well. The Think Dirty® app is the easiest way to learn about the potentially toxic ingredients in your cosmetics and personal care products. You plug in the name or you can even scan it in and Think Dirty will provide information on the product and the ingredients so you know what you are getting. It’s all about choosing cleaner options for you and your family. Local gals you may just see me at CVS checking out the products on the app with my nose in my phone. Check out the organic skin care isle the next time you are at CVS.
Lip balm is something my kids use every day and foaming hand soap seems to be a big offender as well in terms of chemical ingredients. That is why I was so happy that Kosmatology sent me a few items to test out.
Kosmatology is a line of organic and natural skin care products. All of the company’s products are vegan and free of harmful chemicals and preservatives. The organic, preservative-free skin care line is safe for the whole family. The line has everything from body wash to bug repellent (in a convenient travel size stick) In fact a few of their items come in travel size so you can test them out before committing but I am sure if you like fresh scents and clean beauty products you will love the line. Here are my thoughts on some of the products:
The body wash – Containing eight ingredients or less, the washes come in Free & Clear (Unscented) for those with super sensitive skin, the Goody-Goody Grapefruit for itchy eczema-like skin and Herbal Fresh (Spearmint-Rosemary). I tested out the spearmint rosemary and loved it. It is the perfect wash to use in the morning for a great pick me up! Made with organic Shea butter, organic olive oil and organic castor oil for the base and organic essential oils to scent, the wash is very nice! I will have to try the grapefruit one next.
The foaming hand soap – of course I stay away from the anti-bacterial hand soap and I would buy whatever was sls free and paraben free but noticed that many hand soaps have a ton of ingredients and many did not rank well on EWG or Think Dirty. The Kosmatology hand soaps are made with organic oils such as coconut, olive and safflower with organic essential oils. The lavender eucalyptus smells so good. A must have in the bathroom and it rates a 0 on Think Dirty.
The Hand Sanitizer – The goody-goody grapefruit hand sanitizer smells so good and is free of the harmful chemical triclosan. It contains ethyl alcohol to kill germs and organic glycerin to rehydrate skin. I love that is comes in a spray as it is easier for the little kids to use (how many times have your kids squeezed the hand sanitizer bottle only to get a large glob out and throw it everywhere????)
The lip balm – ladies we apply lip balm how many times a day?? You don’t want yucky chemicals in them do you? Preservative-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, beeswax-free, free of artificial dyes and colors, and vegan this lip balm is thicker than most I’ve tested and the grapefruit is not overpowering at all and at $3.99 you can buy a bunch! Plus it ranks a 0 on Think Dirty!
WOD aid – This is a hand therapy treatment and it comes in a lip balm sized stick so the hubby can have it with him at all times. It prevents the formation of calluses and cuticle cracks and the scent is not too much. I like this as I put in on my cuticles before bed and it works!
Shop all their products here
Disclosure: Kosmatology sent me the above items to test out. As always all opinions in this blog post are my own.
Happy New Year – you need glasses! If you are over 40 and never have worn glasses before realizing you need reading glasses just sneaks up on you. That is what happened to me and then you start to accumulate reading glasses and have them in every room! I have bought just about every reader there is out there and so glad that Peepers reading glasses sent me a pair to test out.
Peepers is a leading designer and marketer of innovative and expressive eyewear for both men and women. The designs are colorful and expressive plus they have hundreds of styles and colors to choose from. The frames are thick and sturdy and they are one of the better quality ones I have seen on the market. Extremely fashionable I received the dauntless ones in navy (which you may have seen in O, The Oprah Magazine as one of Oprah’s Favorite Things!) They are a classic rectangle shape with thicker temples and a silver like sparkles in the corner of the frame and on the side for a truly bold look. This style comes in five beautiful colors so you really do have an option perfect for every outfit. The berry ones would be cute to purchases for Valentine’s Day! What I really like about Peepers readers is that they are comfortable on, especially if you do a lot of reading. Plus they come with a cute burlap like case to store them. Check out their web site as you can choose from frame shape, width, and style as well as lens style, tint and frame material.
Disclosure: Peepers readers sent me the dauntless readers to test out. As always all opinions in this blog post are my own.
Here it is! Just a few must have items for those on your holiday list this year. Thank you to all of these companies for sending along their wonderful gifts. We try out and test out all products so you know you are getting a good deal and some truly, fun, unique gift ideas. Whether you are looking for the tween in your life, gifts for mom or gifts for guys we have some thoughts. So here it is – the top ten gift guide. Happy Holidays from trendymommies!
- Perfect for mom: Soma PJs – we have a tradition on our house of opening up a pair of pjs on Christmas Eve each year. What mom would love are these cool nights PJs. They are super soft, comfy and keep you cool at night. They do work as I tested them out and lounged in them all weekend. Plus technically you can wear them as loungewear! #pajamasallday is what I love during the holiday season. Prices start at $49.
- Perfect for your sister, officemate: Tata Harper – beauty kits are a great gift for mom or tweens in your life. I will always give products that are non-toxic, safe and effective. I love this line and my teen steals some of these products from my bathroom. Super cute sets for teens on their site including the detox defense set. This is a four-piece regimen, which includes a very nice Purifying Mask that adds a touch of nourishing moisture. The kit also contains mini sizes of Nourishing Oil Cleanser (15 ml), a Purifying Cleanser (15 ml) and their must have product – the Replenishing Nutrient Complex (3 ml) ($42) AND as an extra stocking stuffer get the Be Smitten lip treatment. With a hint of pink color this tinted plumping & hydrating lip treatment leaves lips so smooth and the color really will flatter anyone. Super nourishing too! ($29)
- Perfect for the BFF: Of course my beloved Beautycounter holiday kits are also my favorite. What can I say about these gorgeous red boxed gift sets? Any mom would love to receive a packaged gift like the lip gloss or travel set. If you did not order in time there is always Valentine’s Day!
- Perfect for anyone: David’s Tea – you all know I love tea but have you been to a David’s Tea retailer? They have the best selection of teas and adorable gifts for the tea lover in your life. What? You don’t know a tea lover? Well if you gift any of these items to anyone on your list they will be hooked! From the sets, mugs and loose teas you cannot go wrong in this store or their online site. These adorable affordable gift ideas are perfect for the teacher, sister, bus driver – anyone really. I love the mini pouch of tea bags, the 25 days of teas and of course any of their tea mugs (especially the travel mugs) The travel pouch is $10 and has 5 sachets. As a memorable gift the collectible tea-filled ornament is filled with hot chocolate tea which is a medium caffeine tea with chocolate nibs and chocolate chips in a base of black tea – delightful. Kids will love the night before Christmas which is nice book of nine caffeine free teas with fun names like sleigh ride, sweet dreams and apple cider.
- Perfect for the kids: Harbor Sweets – not all chocolate is alike and these chocolates are handmade in Salem, Mass Kids will love them. Of course the kids immediately had to test out the chocolate Christmas calendar – like a traditional advent calendar each window is filled with dark horse chocolates- some with almond butter crunch, caramel and peppermint crunch. Really, any boxed chocolate you purchase from this company is sure to please anyone on your list. The company also has a new line called Gather Chocolate to raise awareness of the plight of the honeybee. 2.5% of all Gather sales goes to the Pollinator Partnership to aid in their efforts to preserve and protect the pollinators.
- Perfect for the hubby: Anything at CVS – this is THE retailer where I buy small gifts and ornaments and the gifts for dad like chargers and tech stuff. Hubby would even appreciate a gift card to CVS too. Who doesn’t love a gift card?
- Perfect for those that are hard to buy for or for those that have everything: Anything from The Grommet – Shop for unique gifts, innovative tech gadgets, and more as The Grommet has truly unique gadgets for everyone on your list. For little girls/tweens order the Vegan nail polish set (perfectly safe and cute colors) and the Wearable nail polish holder is the most inventive product on the market. It makes it easy for them to paint their own nails. Mom will love this invention too. I loved it – it was super easy to use and make it much easier to do your own nails. For your bff she will love the Bittersweet hair tie bracelet. If you are sick of seeing that hair elastic on your wrist and the dents it leaves, bittersweet by Maria Shireen® makes a sleek hair tie bracelets holder out of stainless steel. Simply, slip the bracelet on, then the elastic over to rest in the groove. It looks very chic and just like a bracelet. For boys and tween boys they will think the Wristband headphones are cool. Plus, they won’t lose them mom! These braided wrist brand head phones transform into an undercover bracelet. Plus their textured fabric exterior prevents any tangling. For your pet – the Silent pet tag. No more jiggling tags as this super cute tag is the perfect gift. All products on this site are creative, solve problems and I love how easy it is to navigate through the site for your last minute gift giving needs!
- Perfect for the tech lover – Clutchette power purse by Chic Buds. The Clutchette Power is a phone charger in a bag. It has an ultra-thin battery, built-in USB cords and room to carry your keys, lip gloss and other night out essentials. I like how it is sleek enough to throw into a larger bag and it makes a perfect gift for the fashionista in your life! $49.99
- Perfect for the fashionista – Speaking of fashionista she would love a gift from Tartan + Twine. This company makes a range of cosmetic bags – pick her favorite color (sold at Ulta and retailers nationwide) and prices start at $12.00
- Perfect for the kids: I don’t have a lot of young kids to buy for this year but I have heard Hatchimals are the must have item (no I don’t have one so don’t ask) but I always love games for kids and of course I love the classics like bananagrams and apples to apples. A gift card to Barnes & Noble is a great option as they have a great toy selection and it is not too overwhelming and of course their kids book section is fun to look through
Happy Holidays to all!!!
Disclosure: The companies listed above sent me products to review and test out. As always all opinions in this blog post are my ow